Monday, August 27, 2012

college[?]

this blog is for Carly.
and shout out to Carly, I expect you to make one too.
but anyway, I'M IN COLLEGE.
and I still don't know how it even happened.  This last summer was a complete blast, and all of the sudden I'm sitting in Logan, sharing a dorm with 5 other girls, and wondering where my mom is.
It has been a roller coaster of emotions this past week. and I'm still a little unstable. :/ I left up to Utah State University on Tuesday. (August 21) I packed up a bunch of my stuff, loaded the car, and said goodbye to my friends and family. I didn't even cry! (said the liar)  The minute I was alone in my car, I had a minor meltdown.  I cried my way onto the freeway and up the canyon.  I've been so excited to go to school, but the closer it got the more I realized just how much everything was going to change.  All of my friends were now going to separate schools, my mom wasn't there to do my laundry or feed me, and nothing was familiar anymore.  Tuesday went by and I was up early to attend classes on Wednesday.  I decided to take a University Connections class before school actually started, and it's been a pretty good thing. It's like having someone hold your hand through this transition, and believe me, I was ready for some good hand holding.
I cried Wednesday when I hung up the phone with my mom. Thursday I got in my car, drove down the road, pulled over, and just sat there for 20 minutes. I WAS A MESS. and I really don't know why...My roommates are great. Our dorm is nice(ish), everyone is super friendly, but it just wasn't the same. I missed being with my friends and having all our inside jokes.  I missed sleeping in my own bed and not worried about whether or not I was sleep talking during the night. (Don't worry, my roommate informed me that, of course, I have been sleep talking.) but I had a nice eye-opening experience on Friday that made me think...
Walking home from Connections there was a boy strolling along in front of me. He was about my height, and I probably outweighed him, and by "probably" I mean without a doubt.  I just kept walking behind him and wondering if I should be concerned that his thigh was the size of my arm. Almost to my dorm, the mystery man dropped something. He turned around to grab it as I looked down to see what it was. An oreo. This scrawny stranger had dropped an oreo on the sidewalk. At that moment he finally noticed me standing there and decided to express his disappointment.  With his head lowered and his bottom lip puckered he said, "Awww...I dropped my Oreo." Surprisingly, it only took him about 2.5 seconds to get over the fact that he'd just lost his cookie, and he was suddenly offering me one of his other Oreo's left in the package. After I declined the nice offer, he proceeded to tell me his name (that I can't remember) and that he lived in Wasatch Hall. Which he claims to be the worst place to live on campus. As Oreo Boy is walking alongside me telling me about the mold in the shower and the crazy roommates next door (side note: this kid was smiling while he talked to me. Smiling that he had mold in his shower and that he'd just lost his Oreo cookie) that's when I realized just how LUCKY I am.
I have a new renovated dorm.  I have 5 roommates that are super nice and fairly normal.  I got to bring up my car so I can escape at any time.  Our shower may not have hot water (another story) but it definitely doesn't have mold either! And I'm dang lucky that I could have such great friends to miss like crazy.
College is getting better already, and I'm completely convinced that it's because Oreo Boy changed my entire outlook on the situation.  I'm happy to be up here. I'm excited to start this new part of life, and I really do hope I can enjoy it.  and who knows? Maybe Oreo Boy will be my new best friend.
Watch out USU. Life is getting better.

2 comments:

  1. Hi this is Danika Jensen. I think we went to high school together...idk. Anyway, thank you for sharing your thoughts on college and life. It makes me really sad that you were so sad, but i'm happy that you're trying to have a positive attitude. I know this blog will inspire many readers, as it has inspired me. Keep it real girl. keep it real...

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeeeee boi <3
    Can't wait to read this daily.

    ReplyDelete